Monday, October 6, 2008

But surely I still need the help...

I went to see my acupuncturist last Tuesday. She was excited and encouraging, but when it was time to go, and we had our usual chat about when I should see her again, she said she didn't need to see me unless I felt really awful, and that she doesn't like to use needles after the first couple months. I can come back at the end (if I get there) for help with positioning or starting labor, but more or less, she's done with me.

What? No acupuncture? You mean I'm just on my own? But acupuncture is my magic bullet...

I used to kind of wonder about the folks who went in for tons and tons of monitoring. I mean, I got it for IVF or heavily monitored cycles or folks who had suffered miscarriage, but I didn't understand for folks who had gotten by with relatively low intervention. We didn't do any blood tests or early ultrasounds at all with Leigh, and it seemed strange to me. But now I get it. My acupuncturist was serving to provide that illusion of control, that belief that I had a secret tool that would make everything go OK. I always knew when my next appointment was, and believed she could fix anything (and OK, so maybe that isn't entirely rational). For other folks, that person is the RE. So let this be my official eating of words. To anyone who confused me with your loads of ultrasound pics and 50 betas, I get it now. I really do.

That said, I'm still not going to the doctor. Though we are starting to wonder how soon is too soon to call the midwife...

(And still, so far, all is well, knock wood. 5 weeks today. By which I mean 3 full weeks from my temp spike, not 5 weeks from my period)

No comments: